Work-in-progress Dinosaur #3

Thought I’d post a pic of the dino that I’ve been working on. Currently at the test-assembly stage. You can still see the remains of the pattern from the plans I photocopied, then stuck to the prepared timber. The timber was originally 19mm stock that I resawed on the bandsaw, then ran through the thicknesser until it was the required 6mm thick.

The next step is to sand each part, and glue the sculpture together, followed by a coat of stone-effects paint (for that fossil look).

dino.jpg

It is strange, changing from one bandsaw to another. Wouldn’t have thought I’d notice much difference, and it was subtle, but there. (This is between the Triton 12″, and a Jet 14″, both running a 1/8″ blade). Thinking about it, I’m not sure if one doesn’t have finer teeth than the other, that may make some difference. I don’t think that either stood out as being particularly superior to the other, just that it was a different feel between the two machines.

The (Dog) House that Triton Built

Having a decent workbench really does inspire one to take projects around the home to another level.

Having a couple of furry friends join the family required some additional accommodation to be built. Rather than being content with just knocking something together, I decided to use the capabilities of the Triton Workbench to make something special.

20070513-bonnie-monty-amber-87.jpg

Photo 1 – The Basic Frame

When the puppies were very young, I felt guilty having them outside, particularly with the range of temperatures in Melbourne. With that in mind, I decided the dog house needed insulation! Photo 1 shows the basic treated pine frame, sitting on a base made of treated pine and external grade plywood. The base sits on 4 castors, so the dog house can be moved relatively easily, despite its weight.

Part of the reason for the heavy structure was so there would be room between the inner skin and the ‘weatherboards’ for some fibreglass insulation.

Next, it was time to manufacture the doorway, and a window. I went for a curved entrance, and a round window, because I could 🙂

20051023-photo-4.jpg

Photo 2 – The Window

Once the window was cut and glued up, I then split it into two rings on the Workcentre. Next, a rebate was routered in each ring to accept the Perspex window. The rings were then glued back together, ready for installation into the doghouse. (Photo 2)

The door was similar, made with an arch rather than just a rectangular entrance.

The inside walls and roof were lined with thin plywood, primarily so the insulation can be trapped between the inner and outer walls. I decided to do something a bit different with the outside walls. Rather than do the standard exterior grade plywood, I wanted to make weatherboards. With some Cyprus pine uprights left over from a fence, they were ideal for a weather-proof exterior wall. Using the Workcentre with the Triton Bevel-Ripping Guide, an edge was removed from each upright to produce the weatherboard. (Photo 3)

20051023-photo-5.jpg

Photo 3 – Cross section of the weatherboards
(Edge darkened to emphasise profile)

The insulation was pushed into place, and held there with the weatherboards. It was about this stage that I wished that I had bought the GMC nailgun! (I have since added this to my tool collection) To stop splitting of the weatherboards, each nail hole had to be pre-drilled. It was a big job, but the result looks great! The weatherboards around the doorway were shaped to the curve of the archway with a handheld jigsaw.

It was then time to manufacture the roof. Like everything else, I didn’t want to take the easy option. Some more Cyprus pine uprights were split into three on the Workcentre, ready to be made into roof shingles. The sub-frame can been seen in Photo 4 temporarily fitted to confirm it will fit correctly. The roof is quite a layered affair. From the inside to out, there is a layer of plywood, then fiberglass insulation. On top of that is the roof sub-frame, then black PVC sheeting is layered on that to ensure the roof doesn’t leak. Any water that gets through the top layer (the shingles) will run down the PVC and drain to the outside. The roof overhangs the walls, and the doorway both for heavy weather, and for asthetics.

20051023-photo-6.jpg

Photo 4 – The Roof Support

The shingles were made on the Triton Jigsaw Table, with the front of each shingle rounded (again for asthetics). These were attached to the roof frame from bottom to top, overlapping each row so rain runs off.

20051023-photo-7.jpg

Photo 5 – The completed, unpainted doghouse

20051023-photo-8.jpg

Photo 6 – Rear view of the completed and painted doghouse,
clearly showing the weatherboard construction and the window

20051023-photo-9.jpg

Photo 7 – The completed and painted doghouse,
showing the arch doorway and roof shingles.

I am assured that the doghouse meets the expectations of the new occupants! However, it turns out they also want a wine cellar, and have spent considerable effort digging one for themselves! That’s fine- so long as they don’t expect me to stock it.

Episode 03 Scrollsaw Dinosaur

Episode 03 Scrollsaw Dinosaur

Scrollsaws are often used to produce very incricate pieces, but a cheap one is perfectly good for making some really cool kids’ toys.

Dinosaur bones discovered in Melbourne!

I was out near my shed yesterday, and discovered……

t-rex.jpg

Made from plans in a book on scrollsaw dinosaurs, it stands around 2′ high, and was made with a combination of the scrollsaw and bandsaw. A video podcast briefly covering the construction will be available shortly.

To finish, it is currently being glued up, and then will be sprayed with a grey undercoat, and then a stone finish spraypaint to give it a bit of (in my eyes) a fossil look. All up, total construction (including finishing) time is approx 5 hours.

%d bloggers like this: