Louvre Rack Solutions

In the previous shed, I used a set of wall-mounted containers to sort and store consumables. I will be looking to recommission that system, but want to extend the arrangement, picking up on some of the point-of-sale systems in hardware stores.

Bulky items are easy enough to find in the standard containers, but when you are looking to find a particular item visually (rather than by description), it is good to have a system that showcases the items clearly, so you can distinguish one item from another.

I found an interesting version at Total Tools, called Visi-pak, from an Australian company, Fischer Plastics. These are clear-fronted containers, that can either rotate to open and access the screws, or the whole container can be removed from the holder to be taken to the job.

20140423-233212.jpg

The system hangs on standard louvre racks, and rather than the plastic versions available, for only a little more, I chose a metal version instead. Over years, plastic systems sag. This may not be apparent initially, but in time they no longer site evenly. This may not be applicable to plastic louvre systems, but for the sake of $5, why bother finding out?

20140423-233825.jpg

I’m also debating how best to store my spanners, pliers, vice grips etc. I used a shadowboard previously, and that may still be the best option. A tool cabinet would be nice, but they are horrendously priced.

20140423-235557.jpg

The other option (and this is looking a lot more promising), is a peg board, such as this 3 panel example. Rather than spending $500, this is around $60, including a bunch of pegs.

20140423-235929.jpg

Yet Another Visit

Was at Masters again today (legitimate trip, buying some bolts and timber for the cot project).

Got blown away by the bolt section. There are all the usual suspects, but what I then found were the specialist drawers! I was in heaven- so many awesome types of bolt, screw, washer etc etc in all sorts of material- steel, brass, zinc coated, nylon etc.

Masters collection

Masters collection

In the photo is just one set of the cabinets of about 4! I have no idea how they intend to keep them stocked, especially now I’ve found them. Hope there isn’t too much theft too- having free access to these drawers is very cool.

I can well imagine some of these units making their way home, but they look like they’d be worth a small fortune. On the other hand, being 2 minutes away, do I really NEED them in my already crowded workshop?

(“Of Course, stupid question!” is actually the correct answer as any shed dweller will tell you!)

Still juggling….

Looks like it will just be MagSwitch (on the Carbatec Stand) and Professional Woodworkers Supplies now, so should be able to lock in some times soon.

Not much else happening above the water – duck’s legs going frantically underneath however with a number of things in process.  Won’t have time for another video until after the show (and once the voice recovers from it!)

Got out to the shed (late) last night – too late to get much done, but did get to sit down, catch a show (rewatching Firefly fwiw), and go through all my containers of screws, nails etc and get them into some sort of semblance of order (at least with the right contents in the right container).  Still want to make some new ones out of wood, but until then, the plastic ones will still have to do.

Oh, and there is some plan to hold a garage sale in early November, so want to go through the sheds to see what tools are no longer required which are taking up valuable space.

Finally, I managed to get back to Carbatec and pick up the velcro disk for the 3 in 1 (converting its disk sander to one with removable paper as well), and some thin, pinned scrollsaw blades for the Triton scrollsaw to see if that improves its functionality.

A quick trial in some MDF that got too close to the blade gave an indication that the new blades do make an improvement, but I still have an overall difficulty in that you cannot manually set the blade tension, and the as-supplied setting is not tight enough.  However, this is aleviated somewhat by getting a much thinner blade, as it doesn’t take as much force to get the required tension.  So the note the blade generated was only a C flat, but at least it could produce a note!

%d bloggers like this: