Revitalise Shed Dust Extraction

I’ve been looking again at the shed dust extraction system with a view to refine and revitalise it – as recently discussed I have again moved the dust extractor into the lower shed for a number of reasons, so it is a good time to reassess things. My main issue is wanting to remote-start the extractor, and just supplying and cutting power does not achieve that for the unit I have.

One thing I have been considering is getting the whole ducting off the ground, possibly up at waist or head-height – better access to the blast gates, stops the system getting buried under typical shed detritus. I recently purchased these blast-gate mounts from Rockler

Blast Gate Mount

So it was rather coincidental when I went into Carbatec and saw one of their brand new products:

It may seem a bit unnecessary having clear tubing, but I actually prefer the concept – it gives a clear indication of how well the extraction system is still clearing particles, and also to reveal the location of any blockages.

Combining this with the Super Dust Deputy Carbatec have recently started selling and it could make for an interesting extraction system.

Early Mornings

Some days, when sleep departs unexpectantly early, you can either roll over and try to ignore the cold morning air, or stupidly decide that it is a rare opportunity to get some things done in the shed.

Like I did this morning.  It was pretty cold out there – moreso because I don’t have insulation, or heating, so it was like a fridge.  A bit too much like a fridge really, given that both were around 4C!  When I went to drive to work later on, the car doors were frozen shut.  Not because the hinges were faulty or rusted or anything – the door had literally frozen to the car body.  (It didn’t take too much to break it free, but for somewhere that doesn’t receive any annual snow, ice on the car and particularly around the doors is unusual!)

I didn’t manage to get much done out there, and not for a lack of time but because the hands stopped wanting to be there.

Got the wood stock sorted out a bit more, although I have that really unfortunate situation where I have more stock than storage!  Guess I’d better get busy actually making something!

Wood Rack

And I decided that despite some advantages having the dusty inside the shed (easy to start, easier to empty, better suction being closer to the source), that I didn’t like its disadvantages more (noisy, pleated filter leaking some fine dust, too much floor space required), so I moved it once again to the back shed, leaving room for much more important items:

Priorities

Even has a shelf (aka drill press table) for the draught-keg I got for Xmas (which still needs christening!!)

Mmm – lots of contemplation of the next project required!

%d bloggers like this: