Shed Services

Time to start thinking about the required services needed in the shed.

Plumbing: not so much a service, but getting water away from the shed and into the appropriate drain is important. I have a plumber coming around tomorrow to work out just what needs to be done in this instance. We also need to identify where the pipe runs are on the property, so when the trenches for electricity is dug, the trencher doesn’t cause more work than necessary!

As far as water service to the shed, (which is related to the drains), I am planning on having a small tank collecting water and supplying it via a mains pressure pump I already have to a basin in the back of the shed. Way too useful not to have a water supply for things such as the Tormek sharpener, and washing items etc. That I suspect is a little way off- depends how much a small tank is.

Electrical: had an electrician around today to see the site, and to start ball-parking the cost of wiring up the shed. Looking at about 60A of power, with a few circuits- one for lighting, and the rest for 10A & 15A supply. I have the lighting grid done, so now I just have to design the electrical layout over the weekend. If all goes to plan, we may do it the week after next.

Air: compressed air is a really useful asset for a shed, so I am working with Professional Woodworkers Supplies to choose a kit and add-ons to create a really useful compressed air layout. This includes a couple of outlets above the workbench and the Torque Workcentre- one for vac clamo, one for everything else (aka, blowing dust away)

Each of these services will be detailed a lot further as I work on their final design and layout.

Hmmm

I expect it is a minor problem with how the tape was installed, but you really wouldn’t expect to see this only a couple of days after completion.

20140110-213639.jpg

20140110-213652.jpg

I suspect the builders just haven’t rubbed over the tape sufficiently after applying to get a good bond. Hopefully that, otherwise the tape itself is not up to the job.

Won’t be hard to rectify, just not what I would’ve expected.

20140111-074631.jpg

It is Kingspan Aircell Insulation Tape, with a paper back protecting the adhesive. I would expect this to be the right material for the job (supplied by the insulation supplier).

Preparing for Shield-crete

Following on from the steps described yesterday in preparing the slab itself, I wanted to get the Deco-flakes ready, to ensure the coverage is as evenly distributed as possible.

I didn’t want to find myself going too lean at the start, and not being able to get as much coverage as would be possible, or to start too heavy and find myself running out at the other end.

The slab is already conveniently divided up into sections by the expansion joints, so I used this to calculate the area of each, and therefore what percentage of the slab each section is. There is one that is 25%, 2x 22% and 2×15%. No, that doesn’t come exactly to 100%, but I’m only throwing paint chips in the air!

Next, I took the content of 2 packets of flakes, plus a container of additional, and weighed it- came to 1600g.

20140110-185401.jpg

Working that through means area 1 needs 400g, regions 2 & 3 needs 350g each and regions 4 & 5 needs 240g each.

Again, not quite 1600g, but close enough.

A light coating of flakes is 25% coverage, a good coating around 50%. Without calculating it exactly, I am around the 50% mark.

20140110-185931.jpg

20140110-185942.jpg

After separating the flakes out be weight into separate bags, labelled for each area, it was time to do a dry run.

I took a bag of one smaller region out to the shed, and doing the “throwing handfuls up in the air so it falls like snowflakes” technique, I got to a. practice! and b. see what the coverage looked like.

20140110-190210.jpg

Not too bad- perhaps a little denser than I want, but close enough that I can judge it as I’m going, and I now know what a reasonable dispersion looks like.

That was all swept back up, rebadged, reweighed and topped up (about 15g lost- either not fully swept up, or now stuck on the wall ledges!)

So that is all ready for tomorrow morning.

%d bloggers like this: