Carcass and Top

Gave the toy kitchen project a good nudge today, despite the heat!  I would have hoped to have more done, but it takes time dressing boards down from scratch, resizing and all.  And I’m designing as I go as well!

Carcass Front

Carcass Front

This is the front of the carcass, partially assembled using Dominos to ensure it all lines up.

Carcass-2

Centre Detail

To deal with the central post, I used the Domino to punch right through, then a longer Domino (50mm) so there was enough proud to have plenty of depth for the cross members.

Carcass-3

Testing carcass depth

With the front and rear portions of the carcass glued up, it was time to join the two together.  Rather than use the sides as a structural member, I decided to complete the carcass separately, then attach the sides afterwards.  To get an accurate length for the remaining pieces, I clamped the sides to the carcass, then measured.

Carcass-4

Starting to take form

It also provided the first real chance to see how the unit was coming together.  One side is to be where the sink goes (and cupboard underneath), and the other side is the dishwasher (with tambour door – more of an industrial form of dishwasher!)

Carcass-5

Carcass glued up

These were also Dominoed, then the whole lot was glued and clamped.  The old adage that you cannot have too many clamps is so right.  I had all the Bessey clamps, and the two Jet clamps, and still had to resort to some others (that don’t have the same clamping force).  Another thing: as much as I always thought that Jet and Bessey were the equivalent of each other, with pros and cons to both, I have started to significantly favour the Bessey.  The ease to resize the clamp plays a big deal in being happy with the clamp as a whole, and the Jet is painful compared to the Bessey.

Carcass-6

Laying out the tops

Just before I ran out of shed time for the day, I got a bunch of shortcuts/shorter sections, and dressed them up.  Then between the stove and the cupboard/sink, I found I had just the right number.  Not bad for an eyechrometer!

Carcass-7

Commencing glueup of the tops

After sizing  to length, they were glued, and clamped in the Frontline clamps.

So that is where it sits at the moment.  Tomorrow the other top will be glued up, and progress made on the features that will turn this from an elaborate set of cupboards into a kitchen.

Been a bit quiet…

Sure has been a bit quiet around here this week! That is the follow-on from my Nov 28 announcement about our moving house (and shed!) – there was an initial flurry of frantic activity to get the ball rolling.

Lots of visitors and discussions, with banks, accountants, solicitors through to real estate agents, property managers and assessors. Leaves one very tired indeed, but I think we have been through the worst of it now, and able to get back to normal.

Well perhaps normal is not the right word! There is a lot of preparation I need to do to our current home to get it ready. Guess it is a good thing we have a Masters store so close (think “Lowes” for US visitors.)

Don’t think I have ever made so many trips out to the shed without achieving a single thing inside. Showing assessors and real estate agents around. The one time I did get to go out myself for the sole purpose of doing some work, I found myself standing there staring at a mountain of machines, and wondering how on earth I am going to manage that relocation when the time comes. Some of the machines are upwards of 300kg!

The other draw on my time this week (yes, our timing was immaculate), is my deadline for articles for the next edition of ManSpace (due out in January, but with the Xmas break we needed to submit them early).

So I know what this weekend will entail! Finishing off articles for a deadline I have made slightly rubbery, and trying to make some serious progress on the little one’s toy kitchen. It is quickly dawning on my just how close Christmas is!

So apologies for the silence – it was only through necessity!

%d bloggers like this: