Part Deux

Started off with a bit of a test with the first blind to see how they went up, work out the best way of doing it.  There is nothing too complicated at all about it, but still there are always little refinements to make the job easier.

Tried Google on “how to install bistro blinds” (and cafe), but all that resulted in were a tonne of adverts, and the same basic, unhelpful instructions.

Unhelpful because overall it is a very simple concept – I was looking at some problematic areas and how to deal with it.

For example: is it better to install on a cold day, where the blinds will become loose and floppy (technical term) on a hot day, particularly where there is a lot of radiant heat, or on a hot day, which will then result in over-tensioning of the blind in cold weather (and potential failure?), or somewhere in the middle?

I’ve opted for the cold install – it may not look as neat in hot weather, but less prone to failure too.  But I would have rather found out the real answer.

Secondly, the tracks on either side that keep the blinds taut and not flapping in the breeze are near impossible to install as-is.  I tried soapy water, which made a lot of difference, but the best solution (combined with the soapy water) was to flare the end of the channel so there was no chance of it catching on the plastic as it slid along the rope.  One installed, these are not removed from the channel so it is a one-time activity (multiplied by 2x the 18 or so blinds!)

After that, the blinds went up very quickly.  Still have plenty to install, but the technique is working.  Fwiw, I got the blinds for 1/2 price – they were apparently in a shipping container that got moisture in that caused the dye in the ropes to leach and lightly stain the blinds.  Apparently. I’m still looking!  It certainly ensured the price was right!

On a side note, I used the Triton Spin Saw for the very first time (on a real job that is), trimming some hard-to reach areas of the wooden structure.  The Triton cutter lasted a very short time, but the Dremel bit fared a lot better.

%d bloggers like this: