Around the Corner

Another small window, another small amount of progress on the re-configuration of the dust collection.

Bracket

At the end of the tablesaw, I finished with a coupling, so the tablesaw can be detached at any time if moving it is ever required. To hold up that end, I decided to make my own support, which is nothing more than a hose clamp (90-120mm) riveted to a bracket.  This in turn is bolted to the end of the tablesaw fence.  Easy to remove/replace, undo, and it swivels around the rivet.  Holds firm too 🙂

Flex Coupling

Next, I used a piece of flexible hose (reasonably compressed) to get around the corner, but also provide a very flexible coupling in case of any movement of the tablesaw – saves breakages/failures of hangers etc.

The duct tape is to seal against air leaks leading to a drop in suction.

Transitions

Moving from the PVC downpipe, to a short piece of flex, into the new clear tube run, then into one of the new blast gates.  As you can see, I’ve already made my standard modification – a hole drilled into each bottom corner for sawdust clearance.  The gate is held in another of the Rockler blast gate mounts.  They are very cool, simple, and cheap.  Why they are not in Australia makes no sense to me.

Of course, why the Taiwanese cannot design a blast gate that doesn’t clog is also beyond me. How hard is it to get some basic engineering right?  Not like it isn’t a commonly experienced flaw with the design – don’t they use the stuff they design, or listen to feedback?  The fix is so simple – 2 x 13mm holes.

Around the bend

So here is the result of the latest session.  From the left is the duct to the tablesaw.  From above is the extraction from the dust guard (a new blast gate will be put at the quick release coupling directly above the guard).And from there, it is off to the transparent dust trunking, and to the next tool (which happens to be the thicknesser, and the drum sander) before exiting the main shed and over to the dust extraction unit.

I’m debating running a secondary pipe over from the bandsaw (probably), and potentially also from the lathe.  I’d like to do the jointer, but don’t think the extraction unit would cope with the amount generated by that unit, having to lift it over 6 feet in addition to the distance to the extractor itself.  I’ll test it, but not holding out much hope.

%d bloggers like this: