Hayley’s Kitchen

During the build of the toy kitchens, someone was actually following along, and even better, managed to start after I did, and finish before!

Looks cool seeing another version, finished, painted, and most importantly, being enjoyed 🙂

Hayley Enjoying Her New Kitchen

From Shane’s emails:

Hi Stu,

I just wanted to send you a quick email to say thanks for your help with all the questions I was asking about your toy kitchen build. I was building one for my daughter, Hayley, who turned three on the 27th November and everything was a bit of a rush as I had to wait until the 15th to start as that was pay day…

I is not as flash as yours and a lot of the nice to have details are missing simply because if the short time frame but I have attached a photo of what it did turn out like.

My wife, myself and especially Hayley are very grateful, without your prompt responses it would not have been finished in time. <snip>

Yes, it was good to get finished, the last couple of days we were working until midnight and then setting alarms for 5:30 to get up and do the next coat of paint before work… 🙂

Here are a couple of photos from the build that I remembered to take so you can see some of the progress if you want…

01 – You can never have to many clamps, I had to change the glue up process twice as I had run out….

02 – I remember getting to this point and thinking we’ll not much to do now, boy was I wrong. Those last few things seem to take most of the time.


03 – Fridges really do just look like cupboards until you start adding shelves and trays to them.


04 – you can see the european style hinges I used here. They are designed for 16mm material so the doors are 16mm with the main carcass from 12mm. I then added small packers to the hinge mounting points (3mm custom board) so the screws didn’t go through the sides.


05 – The oven door and microwave cutout templates were cut roughly with the bandsaw and then finished with a pattern following bit in the router table. If you use your wifes baking trays for the shape make sure she doesn’t seee you take it out to the garage and set your router bit height on the low side you really dont want the bits hitting metal….


06 – We took all our doors off to paint so that we could work on all the parts seperately.

07 – One swipe with a yellow mini roller and one with black and it starts to look like a kitchen top


08 – Blue tape, you never let me down…

We wanted to paint the whole thing with water base enamel, but buying 5 different colours when you can only get a minimum of a litre was a bit expensive.

So we ended up getting 5 test pots of standard wall paint 1 litre of aqua-namel in white and a water-based clear coat from Cabots designed for wooden decks that we sprayed over the top of everything to give an easy clean finish.
Time will tell if the clear coat will crack but being all the same base (water) and having tried it out on a table and chair set a couple of years ago I’m hoping it will last.

Regards
Shane

Well I’d say that is a bloody good job, and Hayley looks ecstatic at the new addition!  I certainly don’t think that your version is deficient in any details – some you’ve incorporated, I wish I had done so into mine.

——————

Given that Shane only had my small photos, and a few key dimensions to work with, I find it really interesting studying what he has done, and comparing it to my decisions – it is fascinating how much can be learned from such an exercise – not something I’ve had an opportunity to experience before.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: