Repairing the ROS

I haven’t ruled out getting a decent ROS (random orbital sander), but in the meantime I am not one to leave a perfectly functional tool in a state of disrepair, so I decided to fix the existing base, and return the Triton ROS to operational status.

Step one, I removed the base that had the velcro and backing (which had sheared off) from the machine, and cleaned the solid mounting plate up a bit.

I was hoping to find a replacement base that would just work, but that wasn’t going to be possible.  So instead I chose a different route, amalgamate the new base (a Bosch) and the ?fibreglass? backing from the Triton.  The Bosch base had a plate built in with three mounting holes, that were unfortunately a lot closer to the centre than the Triton took.  So I decided to mount it to that Triton backing, then use the original screws and holes to mount the whole new unit to the ROS.

Merging the bases

I drilled 3 new holes in the backing, then used steel rivets to join them together.  Steel rivets are significantly strong, and very low profile which is why I chose that method.

Fully repaired ROS

By then drilling new holes through the Bosch plate, it allowed the original Triton bolts to be used to join the whole refurbished base to the ROS.  Fired up, and it was all back to being functional, and frankly, it will now last a lot longer that the original.

In the background of the second photo, you can see my accordion riveter (also known as a scissor riveter).  This design has significant power, and is excellent in use.

%d bloggers like this: