New Shed Dust System

I finally, after I can’t remember how long, started to rebuild the shed’s dust extraction system. It was decommissioned so long ago, I don’t even remember at what point it became non-functional. It is pretty academic these days given the whole shed upgrade. ‘Back then’ I bought a number of lengths of 100mm downpipe, being significantly cheaper than the actual flexible dust extraction tubing. So I finally got to start cutting into it, and putting it in place.

The first step though, was finalising (as best I can) the machine positions. Once that was decided (taking into account where possible, the dust extraction needs of each machine), the next step was planning the pipe run(s).

It was a bit of a debate, but I have finally decided to run the tubing at ground level. It means the extractor doesn’t have to work so hard, lifting the dust and shavings the 2.5 meters off the floor, in addition to overcoming the friction from the walls. Given the tool layout, it won’t cause me any undue grievance loosing that small amount of floorspace behind each tool against the wall.

I haven’t gotten very far – balancing shed time with work time and family time (especially when everyone is sick). But at least it feels like a good start.

Here’s a pic of about as far as I’ve gotten (I said I didn’t get far).

What is shown here is the right side of the machinery area (against the front wall). Each machine is connected in via flexible tubing, and a blast gate. The blast gate on each machine is obviously so I can shut off all the other machines to maximise the flowrate from the one currently being operated. The modified T section has 2 advantages. Firstly, it isn’t a straight T section – it is angled to minimise the losses from forcing the dust through a tight 90 degree corner. Secondly, it provides an inlet so any blockages can be cleared relatively easily.

I am planning to add an extra length of flex into that end so I can make a temporary run to the thicknesser when required.

The second one is not ideal, but is only to draw a (relatively) small amount of generated light dust from two sanders (the belt & disk and the spindle sander). The belt & disk also does its own active dust extraction, feeding into the tube, so it ‘should’ help.

Next job – the router table.

%d bloggers like this: