Router Bit Sortout

For a significantly long time, I have been rather embarrassed by the state of my router bits, and so with the arrival of the new cabinet, I have used it to motivate me to do something about it. Plus, by the time I was able to get out to the shed, it was way too late to turn any of the tools on, so it was a good opportunity to do so other maintenance tasks.

It took some time, despite that many were suffering no more than a bit of a build up of dust. The dust has attracted moisture, which then results in corrosion. It wasn’t too bad, but still, I’d rather them look as pristine as possible. With over 80 router bits in the collection, the old toothbrush still got quite a workout. I really need to be more fastidious about cleaning the bit immediately after using it, and before it gets put away. A router without a good bit is no better than a blunt chisel.

One thing I’d add, is the bits with a surface treatment were in significantly better shape than those without. The Carb-i-tool bits with their black coating required nothing more than a 5 second dust off for them to look like new, whereas the Linbides which have nothing needed some real elbow grease to get them back to a reasonable state. In the end, the quality of the bit comes down to the quality of the carbide, and so long as that portion of the bit is kept in good condition, the bit will pretty much do as expected, but having the body of the bit protected as well makes the job a lot easier.

One thing I’ll add – the bits that for whatever reason I kept in their original packaging were still in perfect condition (other than where I’d used them and put them away dirty 😦 ), so I’m hoping the new cabinet will afford all of them a much better level of protection than the old (and I’ll admit it – intended to be temporary, but temporary solutions have a habit of becoming long-term) storage solution.

What I was using (and will hopefully be able to decommission soon) was the 100 bit storage tray from CMT, which uses 1/2″ and 1/4″ inserts that can be positioned, and repositioned as required.  The main problem I found was the bits were held so tightly that they were (and are) very difficult to remove, and often the whole insert comes out with the bit.  Putting the bits away was also a dangerous affair, again given how tight the fit was, you had to place a lot of pressure down on the bit, and given they have very sharp edges, you didn’t want to slip.  So I started not putting them away, or just dropping them into holes that didn’t have inserts, and so the mess began.  They look like an adequate solution in the images, the reality is something else entirely.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: