Another use for MagSwitch – My ‘broom’ concept

I have a huge pile of sawdust etc in my shed, and over the years have dropped my fair share of screws, nails etc.

So I decided to try out the MagSquare, to see if my “MagSwitch Broom” concept had any legs.

Sawdust Nail Mix

Here’s the original mixture of nails, screws etc, and sawdust. MagSquare on standby!

MagSquare

The large MagSquare – a half turn of the handle to activate the magnet, and it will have around 230kg of lifting strength (should be enough 😉 )

MagSquare broom

The result. Very handy, and as I am cleaning up, instead of ignoring the nails etc that I am loosing, I am going to make a quick pass with this to collect as much as possible. I know it is possible to do this with a simple magnet, but it’s nice being able to hold it over a container, and switch off the magnet and have all the screws etc simply drop off. I tried this with metal filings, and got a great collection, and when the MagSwitch was turned off, not a single filing remained attached to the magnet – it really drove home to me the fact that the magnetic field is completely cancelled by the switch.

Shed Part XVII

Yup, another progress set – hope these are not too boring!

Nothing much has happened since the last update, so these are just a few photos of where I got to at the end of the day (Wednesday).

Makes it actually look worse than it is – at least the groundsheets/tarps provide reasonable coverage!

Bit of a roof detail shot.  The marks on the tin are tar from whatever the previous role the sheeting was for (given its original length (8m), it is likely to have been wall or roofing of a factory type building.  Seemed a shame to have had it cut down in size, but I wouldn’t have gotten it home, and I don’t have a yard big enough to fit a shed that size!

FWIW, the entire shed upgrade is currently costing around $700, including the slab.  It probably would have cost around $1000 – $1100 (OZ dollars) if I had done it from scratch rather than upsizing the existing shed and reusing materials.  Still, compare that to the $6000 – $10000 if I had bought a commercial version.  So there is a lot more labour involved in this one, but it’s a pleasure to do – labour of love to coin a phrase.

Still, a lot of ‘stuff’ in the way.  As soon as I can move it, and get the shed watertight, I can get the new tablesaw in.  Hard to be patient, but the job is better when done right.  I’ve had to compromise a lot to save money, but I don’t think the shed is worse for it, just doesn’t have nice steel beams etc.  On the other hand, she’s sturdy, and I still have plenty of options for stiffening the structure.

And the headroom….I walk around and around, simply for the pleasure of not having to duck!!!!

%d bloggers like this: